These Bún Chả Giò Chay or Vietnamese Noodles and Fried Vegetarian Spring Rolls Bowls are composed of rice noodles and egg rolls on a bed of shredded lettuce with fresh herbs and pickled radish and carrot.
This Bún Chả Giò Chay is also delicious with some sliced cucumber for that extra crunch. This bowl is finished with a vietnamese dipping sauce or nuoc cham, and for this version I of course used me homemade vegan ‘fish’ sauce.
WHAT IS BUN CHA GIO?
‘Bun’ translates to noodles in Vietnamese while ‘cha gio’ are vietnamese egg rolls. Chay means vegetarian. So ‘cha gio chay’ are vegetarian spring rolls.
RICE NOODLES OR VERMICELLI
The rice noodles or rice vermicelli are made of rice flour, water, and sometimes with salt.
They come in bundles. For this recipe, I cooked 2 bundles to divide into 2 bowls.
These are slightly translucent when dried.
I simply boiled them. As they cook they will turn into a solid white colour.
Run the noodles through water to remove excess starch and also stop these rice noodles from cooking.
Cha Gio Chay (Vegetarian Fried Spring or Egg Rolls)
You can find my homemade spring rolls recipe here. You can also opt to use egg rolls of your choice!
Golden brown and crisp!
I sliced my rolls for this noodle bowl but you can serve them whole too.
I just like smaller bite-sized pieces to go with the rest of the bowl.
Pickled Daikon Radish and Carrots (Đồ Chua)
I love the added crunch, texture, and acidity these give to the bowl.
You can find my homemade recipe here.
ASSEMBLING THE BUN CHA GIO CHAY
Add the shredded lettuce
Add the noodles
Add the fresh herbs and cucumber
Add the spring rolls (cha gio chay) and pickled vegetables (do chua)
Pour the vegan ‘fish’ sauce or dipping sauce into the bowl. This is inspired by nuoc cham!
Enjoy your bun cha gio chay! Find the recipe for this noodle and spring rolls bowl below! ❤️
If you try out this recipe, I’d appreciate if you leave a rating or simply click on the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ on my recipe card!
You can also check out my other vegan noodle recipes:
- Jjajangmyeon (Noodles in Black Bean Sauce)
- Thai Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mao)
- Easy Spicy Miso Noodles
- Ginger and Scallion Noodles
- Chili Garlic Oil Noodles
Vietnamese Noodles and Fried Vegetarian Spring Rolls Bowls (Bún Chả Giò Chay)
- 100 g dried rice vermicelli 2 bundles
- Shredded lettuce green leaf or other lettuce of choice
- Pickled Daikon Radish and Carrots (Đồ Chua), see homemade recipe here
- Fresh mint leaves
- Fresh cilantro
- 6 Vietnamese Fried Vegetarian Spring Rolls (Cha Gio Chay), see homemade recipe here OR other spring rolls of choice
- Vegan fish sauce or Vietnamese dipping sauce (nuoc cham), see homemade recipe here
- Cook the rice vermicelli according to package instructions. Rinse through running cold water after cooking to wash off some starch.
Assembling the bowls
- You can watch the photos above or the video below to see how to assemble these bowls.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded lettuce.
- Top with the noodles, fresh herbs, and pickled veggies.
- Add in the spring rolls. I cut mine up into smaller bite-sized pieces.
- Finish the bowl with vegan ‘fish’ sauce or vietnamese dipping sauce (nuoc cham).
- Mix and enjoy!
This Post Has 5 Comments
Thanks For Sharing this amazing recipe. My family loved it. I will be sharing this recipe with my friends. Hope the will like it.
This was so easy and so delicious! Everything came together super quickly and is so, so tasty! I will definitely be making this again!
Happy to hear! Thanks lo 🙂
This is my absolute favorite dish and what sold me initially on Vietnamese cuisine. Thank you for posting, it reminded me of one of life’s sincere comforts.
It’s one of my favourites too! Next to the classic fresh spring rolls and pho. 🙂