SWEET LIME GLAZED TOFU
I think It’s pretty obvious how much I love creating glazes so this time around I worked with some calamansi (Philippine lime) juice for my tofu! This Sweet Lime Glazed Tofu has that perfect balance of sweetness and acidity.
If you don’t have access to calamansi, you of course use regular lime!
COOKING THE TOFU
This is a perfect blend sweet and sour goodness. Plus, who doesn’t love crisp tofu? I’ve been using this same technique of coating them with some cornstarch before pan-frying them to create a crisp crust.
Crispy pieces of tofu!
This is perfect with a hot bowl of steamed rice or even with noodles.
Check out the full recipe below. Enjoy!
Are you looking for more delicious, vegan recipes? Check out my latest Vegan Kitchen eBook, that has over 95 recipes that are packed with flavour and made with simple and easily accessible ingredients! Two trees will be planted for every download of my eBook.?
Stir-fried Sweet Lime Glazed Tofu
2 blocks extra firm tofu (around 240g each), sliced into cubes
1 heaping tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup bell pepper, sliced into squares
1 onion, sliced into squares
2 tbsp canola oil, for frying
3 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp lime juice (I used calamansi juice)
1 tsp sriracha (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp corn starch, diluted in 1 tbsp water
- Dry the tofu and cut into cubes. I wrap the tofu in towels and place a plate on top of it until excess liquid is absorbed by the towels.
- Sprinkle the salt on the tofu cubes. Add the cornstarch. Coat the tofu well.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce except the cornstarch mixture.
- In a pan, heat around 1 1/2 tbsp of oil and then fry the tofu cubes until crisp and golden. You may need to turn around the tofu cubes.
- Take out the tofu and sauté the onions and bell peppers in a little oil. Add in the glaze ingredients except the corn starch + water.
- Cook the sauce until it boils then lower hear before adding in the cornstarch mixture. Mix until thick.
- Add in the tofu and cook until the sauce is well incorporated.
- Serve with a bowl of rice or noodles and enjoy while hot!