During my recent trip to Taiwan, I had this really simple peanut sesame noodle dish at a local restaurant, which was the inspiration behind this recipe. It was a really simple dish–the noodles were boiled until chewy then mixed in a rich peanut sesame sauce with a few pieces of vegetables. Then we had the option of adding some chilli sauce, which I really loved.
So this dish is fairly simple: I simply cooked some wheat noodles I got from Taiwan (you can find a similar one here) before adding it to a rich peanut and sesame sauce. The tofu and other veggies are actually just add-ons and you can enjoy this dish with just the noodles and sauce as is, but it’s really good when all mixed together.
You can find the full recipe below. Enjoy!
If you make this and any of my recipes, please let me know through my Instagram or you can also leave me a message. 🙂
Vegan Chili Peanut Sesame Noodles | Taiwanese-Inspired
180 g dry noodles of choice (around 2.5 cups cooked), I used dried wheat noodles I purchased from Taiwan
1/2 block extra firm tofu (around 120g), sliced into strips
1 small bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 + 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 small carrot, shredded Spring onions, chopped
Peanut Sesame Sauce
1/2 cup warm water
3 tbsp chunky or smooth peanut butter*
1 tbsp sesame paste or tahini
2 1/2 tsp soy sauce
2 1/2 tsp black vinegar
2 tsp chili sauce (in oil) or any preferred chilli sauce, feel free to adjust according to desired spice
*Note: I used sweetened and slightly salted chunky peanut butter so you may need to adjust the sauce according to your desired taste
- In a bowl, add in the peanut butter. Pour in the warm water and stir until the peanut butter is well incorporated. Add in the sesame paste, soy sauce, black vinegar, and chilli sauce.
- In a pan, heat 1/2 tbsp of oil. Add in the bell peppers. Sauté until cooked. Once cooked, set side.
- Add in the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil. Pan fry the tofu slices. Season with soy sauce. Set aside once cooked.
- Heat a pot with some water. Once it starts to boil, cook the noodles until chewy. Drain any excess water.
- Pour in the sauce and mix well. Add in the cooked tofu, carrots, bell peppers, and spring onions.*
- Mix thoroughly with the sauce and toppings. Enjoy!
*Note: The sauce may appear runny at first but since the noodles are still hot, it will thicken up as it starts to cool.
#vegan #noodles #asian #peanutsauce #peanutsesamesauce #healthy #tofu #sauce #easy #easyveganrecipe #asianrecipe #thefoodietakesflight #philippines #manila #peanutbutter #asianfood #chilli