I recently made this Easy Teriyaki Fried Rice recipe with some leftover white rice and a frozen mix of corn, peas, and carrots! So good and super easy! Here’s a photo of the batch I recently made:
WHAT RICE TO USE?
It’s really up to you! I tend to mix it up depending on the leftovers I have. I love using short grain rice, medium grain rice, black rice, or even quinoa!
Leftovers really work best because the rice grains are dry and can easily be separated when making the fried rice.
As for this other batch, I used a mix of rice and quinoa. But really, any grain works! It’s up to you.
What I love about fried rice is how easy it is to make and you can really use any vegetables/proteins you have on hand.
HOMEMADE TERIYAKI SAUCE
It’s also a perfect bulk meal to prepare that doesn’t require much time nor effort. I personally love a good sauce with my fried rice so I made some of my favourite teriyaki sauce.
But on days when I’m in a rush, I go for the trusty soy sauce to season my rice.
This homemade teriyaki sauce recipe can also be a glaze for some fried foods or as a dip! It’s really versatile so you can have it in different ways!
Check out the full recipe below!
Also you can check out other recipes you can enjoy with the teriyaki sauce:
- Katsu Sushi Sandwiches and Rolls
- Baked Teriyaki Cauliflower Balls
- Eggplant and Tofu Teriyaki
- Tofu Katsu (Enjoy with a generous amount of teriyaki sauce on top!)
Are you looking for more delicious, vegan recipes? Check out my latest Vegan Kitchen eBook, that has over 95 recipes (and a whole section for Asian recipes!) that are packed with flavour and made with simple and easily accessible ingredients! Also, two trees (instead of 1!) will be planted for every download of my eBook through non-profit organisation One Tree Planted.?
If you make this recipe, please tag me on my Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #thefoodietakesflight 🙂
Easy Teriyaki Fried Rice
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice or grain of choice, see notes
- 1/2 cup firm tofu sliced into small cubes
- 1/4 cup bell peppers diced*
- 1/4 cup corn*
- 1/4 cup diced carrots*
- 1/4 cup peas*
- 1/4 cup purple cabbage shredded*
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3-1/2 cup homemade teriyaki sauce or store-bought, adjust depending on your desired taste!
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Heat a large pan. Pour in 2 tbsp sesame oil.
- Sauté the garlic until slightly golden brown. Add in the vegetables and tofu.
- Cook until tender. Mix in the rice/quinoa.
- Pour in the teriyaki sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and enjoy while hot! Feel free to add more teriyaki sauce before eating! That’s what I did and it was really good.
- Cooked and cooled rice is the best for fried rice! I love to use day old rice that’s been kept in the refrigerator and I just separate it before cooking.
- The vegetables are really up to you! Feel free to use what you have on hand.
This Post Has 2 Comments
Literally the best fried rice I’ve ever made! Your homemade teriyaki is AMAZING. Thank you!
Thanks Sarah, glad you enjoyed it!! 🙂