Just some Candied Sweet Potatoes passing through. This vegan recipe only require 3 Ingredients and are really easy to make!
These were so addicting so I of course had to remind myself to eat them in moderation. ?
These are Inspired by Filipino Kamote Cue and Korean Candied Sweet Potatoes!
These sweet potatoes were inspired by ‘Kamote-Cue’, which is a famous Filipino street food and snack that’s basically sweet potato (kamote) coated in brown sugar placed in skewers and also inspired by the Korean sweet potato side dish called ‘Goguma Mattang’. So let’s just say these are somewhere in between!
You’ll only need 3 basic ingredients, including sweet potatoes of course!
THE SWEET POTATOES
I’ve tried yellow and orange sweet potatoes for this recipe and both turned out great! This cooking method is the way we cook ‘camote cue’ here in the Philippines. Below are orange sweet potatoes.
Tip: When you peel sweet potatoes and set them aside for a bit, make sure they’re soaked in water first or else they’ll turn brown! When you’re ready to cook, drain out the excess water then slice them into cubes. Getting rid of the water also makes sure they don’t splash when fried!
HOW TO COOK THESE CANDIED POTATOES
Heat a large wok with neutral oil. Leave over medium high heat
Basically once the oil is hot, the sugar is first added.
You’ll have mix the sugar around until it melts and bubbles.
The sugar will also rise to the top of the oil once its melted and bubbling.
From there, you’ll add in the sweet potatoes and mix it in the sugar. Then leave the sweet potatoes for a few minutes to cook and slowly become coated in the sugar!
Transfer the sweet potatoes into a strainer to drain the oil.
Immediately transfer the coated sweet potatoes on a lined tray to separate them from each other before they completely cool.
Get the recipe below. Enjoy!
Are you looking for more delicious, vegan recipes
Check out my latest Vegan Kitchen eBook, that has over 95 recipes (and a whole section for Asian recipes!) that are packed with flavour and made with simple and easily accessible ingredients! Also, two trees (instead of 1!) will be planted for every download of my eBook through non-profit organisation One Tree Planted.?
3-Ingredient Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into cubes. I got around 550g of cubes after peeling and slicing. You can see the photos in my blog post above for a complete step-by-step.
- Heat a large wok frying pan over medium high heat with enough oil to submerge the sweet potatoes.Once hot, add in the brown sugar. Mix the sugar around until it melts and bubbles. The sugar will also float to the top. Add in the sweet potato cubes in the oil. These should immediately sizzle in the oil.
- Flip around the sweet potatoes in the diluted sugar until they’re coated. Leave to cook for a few more minutes until brown and coated in the melted sugar. Mix them around every minute or so!
- Transfer the sweet potatoes into a strainer to drain the oil and then immediately transfer the coated sweet potatoes on a lined tray or non-stick pan. Separate them from each other before they completely cool because these can easily stick together. Top with some sesame seeds, if desired.
- Leave sweet potatoes to cool and crisp up for a few minutes. These are best enjoyed immediately or within the day while still crisp!
- NOTE: Before storing, make sure they have completely cooled to maintain crispiness before covering in a container. Note that you can keep them in the refrigerator for a few days but they’ll not longer be as crisp.