Deliciously satisfying Chili Garlic Eggplant Noodles that are super flavourful and really umami. The eggplant here gives it that nice added texture too but you can also opt to add other vegetables of your choice!
You can make these noodles and enjoy this bowl in less than 30 minutes! It’s also good for 2 servings so you can whip this up to have for some weekday meals. I used wheat noodles for this one but you can opt to use noodles of your choice.
You’ll find the recipe for these noodles down below.
Are you looking for more delicious, vegan recipes?
Check out my latest Vegan Kitchen eBook, that has over 95 recipes (and a whole section for Asian recipes!) that are packed with flavour and made with simple and easily accessible ingredients! Also, two trees (instead of 1!) will be planted for every download of my eBook through non-profit organisation One Tree Planted.
Subscribe to my newsletter for the latest recipes!
Chili Garlic Eggplant Noodles
- 2 small chinese eggplants or eggplant of choice (300g total)
- 120g uncooked wheat noodles or noodles of choice
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp szechuan peppercorns (I crushed mine), feel free to use regular black pepper
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans or black bean garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp fermented chili broad bean paste or doubanjiang
- 1/2 small red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp soy sauce or to taste
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1 1/2 tbsp room temp. water
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce optional for colour
- Chili garlic sauce optional for more spice, homemade recipe here
- Chopped green onions for topping
- Slice the eggplants into batons, around 3 inches in length and 1 inch thick.
- In a pot, heat enough water to cook noodles. Once it boils, add in the noodles and cook until half-cooked and chewy. Remove from the water and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium high. Add in the sesame oil. Once hot, add in the onion. Sauté over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for a minute until aromatic. Add in the szechuan pepper (if using), black beans, chili bean paste, and bell pepper. Leave to cook for 2 minutes until bell pepper is tender.
- Add eggplant into the pan with the bell pepper mix. Leave eggplant to cook over medium high heat until tender, around 6 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and pour in the water and soy sauce. Leave to simmer over medium high until it boils. Once it boils, lower heat and add in the cornstarch slurry while mixing. Keep mixing until the sauce thickens. Add in the cooked noodles. Add dark soy sauce (if using) and mix well. Feel free to add more soy sauce and chili garlic sauce as needed, to taste and for extra heat.
- Serve and enjoy hot with some chopped green onions.