Here’s a Vegan Ube Spread or Filling made from powder or puree.
WHAT IS UBE?
What’s ube? Ube is purple yam in Filipino. It has a distinct flavour and a very rich purple colour. Ube is used in a lot of Filipino desserts such as in Ube ice cream, ube jam/halaya, kakanin (sticky rice-based desserts).
UBE JAM OR HALAYA
This is a similar take on ube halaya, a Filipino ube jam or dessert, that is used in a lot of baked goods, halo halo (shaved ice dessert), ice cream, and so much more.
Purple Yam or Ube is what gives baked goods that distinct beautiful purple or violet colour!
HOW TO USE THIS SPREAD
Check out my Vegan Ube Pandesal Recipe where I used this spread as the filling along with some cheese.
You can also just use this to spread over some toast or plain pandesal (sweet Filipino bread rolls)
Ube Spread or Filling (Purple Yam Spread or Filling)
Ube Filling (Choose 1)
Option 1 from Powder
- 1 cup ube powder 142 g (see notes)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 1/2 tsp ube extract
Option 2 from fresh ube
- 550 g mashed purple yam or ube puree
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar or more to sweeten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For Option 1 (using powder), place the powder in a large bowl. Mix in the hot water and mix well until the powder has dissolved and is thick. You can mash this up well or even process or blend it if you want a smoother consistency.
- For Option 2 (fresh ube): for fresh ube, simply mash the cooked ube. You can even process or blend it if you want a smoother consistency.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add in the coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, around 4 minutes. Mix in the ube puree and mix well. You can add more sugar if you’d like it sweeter.
- Turn off the heat and set aside to cool. The spread will continue to thicken as it cools.
- You can store this spread or filling in an air-tight container for 3 weeks (or even longer) in the refrigerator for ube pandesal, otherbaked goods, and more!
- You can check out my vegan ube pandesal recipe here.
This Post Has One Comment
Really great. Jam was delicious and our ube crinkle cookies came out perfect.