A really satisfying Vegan Orange Tofu recipe that’s a perfect balance of tangy and sweet. It’s also really saucy so it’s perfect over some steamed rice or a bowl of noodles.
You can also check out the recipe video below to see 2 other saucy tofu recipes!
COOKING THE TOFU
I basically pan-fried the coated pieces of tofu for this recipe below cooking it down in the orange sauce. So good with rice for a really hearty and satisfying meal. 🙂
THE ORANGE SAUCE
The sauce is simply a mix of:
- 1/2 cup orange juice I used 1 navel orange
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce or to taste
- 1/4 cup room temp. water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp corn starch
Feel free to adjust the measurements to your taste!
SERVE AND ENJOY YOUR ORANGE TOFU
I’m a rice type of girl so I love my tofu with rice. But you’re free to enjoy this with noodles too! I just love mine with a hearty bowl of steamed short grain rice to top my orange tofu on.
Anyway, you’ll find the recipe for this below. Enjoy!
You can also check out my other tofu recipes here or down below:
Check out my tips on how to store tofu!
- Black Pepper Tofu Steaks
- Tofu “Chicken” Teriyaki
- Korean Spicy Braised Tofu
- Fried ‘Chicken’ and Gravy
- Tofu Katsu
- Nori-Wrapped Tofu in Spicy Sauce
- Maple Hoisin Tofu
- Orange Tofu
- Pan-Fried Tofu Cakes
- Tofu ‘McNuggets’
Vegan Orange Tofu
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- Dry the tofu and cut into cubes. I wrap the tofu in towels and place a plate on top of it until excess liquid is absorbed by the towels. You can also opt to use a tofu press.
- In a shallow plate or bowl, mix the cornstarch and salt. Coat the tofu well in the mix. If needed, you can add more corn starch to fully coat the tofu.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside. Feel free to adjust the sauce to your desired taste.
- In a pan, heat around 2 tbsp of oil and then fry the tofu cubes until crisp and golden. You will need to turn around the tofu cubes to evenly crisp them.
- Take out the tofu and set aside. In the same pan, sauté the onion in a little sesame oil, if using.
- Mix the sauce again to make sure the cornstarch hasn’t stuck to the bottom. Add in the sauce and orange slices (if using) to the pan then mix well. Leave to simmer over medium heat while mixing. The sauce will slowly thicken from the corn starch. Add in the tofu and coat in the sauce. Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with a bowl of rice and enjoy while hot!