The perfect easy recipe for whenever you’re looking to clear your fridge of whatever veggies you have lying around. I love having Japanese ‘chahan’ or fried rice in Japanese restaurants so decided to make my own!
Using short grain rice, like Japanese rice, plays a big role in this because it’s sticky unlike other types of rice! Cooling it well too before cooking it is important–so day old rice or leftover rice is perfect!
SERVING YOUR CHAHAN
After cooking, I scooped some of the rice and then stuffed it in a bowl before flipping it over on a plate to create this dome shape!
I’ll share the really simple recipe below. 🙂 Enjoy!
Check out my other vegan recipes:
- Tantanmen (Vegan Ramen)
- Peanut Satay Noodle Soup
- Yaki Udon
- Chinese-Style Bolognese
- Crispy Wontons
- Vegetable Dumplings
- Sundubu Jjigae (Korean Soft Tofu Stew)
- Kimchi Pancakes or Kimchi Jeon
- Filipino Kaldereta or ‘Meat’ Stew
- Tantanmen (Vegan Ramen)
- Kimchi Noodle Soup with Dumplings
- Thai Tom Yum Soup
- Filipino Lumpiang Gulay or Fried Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Filipino “Pork” Barbecue
- Japanese Chahan or Fried Rice
If you make this recipe, please tag me on my Facebook or Instagram and use the hashtag #thefoodietakesflight 🙂
Are you looking for more delicious, vegan recipes?
Check out my latest Vegan Kitchen eBook, that has over 95 recipes (and a whole section for Asian recipes!) that are packed with flavour and made with simple and easily accessible ingredients! Also, two trees (instead of 1!) will be planted for every download of my eBook through non-profit organisation One Tree Planted.?
Japanese Chahan or Fried Rice
- 3 cups cooked and cooled Japanese rice or other short grain rice* see notes
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup diced rehydrated shiitake mushrooms, I used dried shiitake mushrooms that I soaked in hot water but feel free to use other mushrooms!
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp soy sauce or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- Sesame seeds and chopped spring onions for garnishing
- Break apart the cooked rice in a bowl.
- Heat a pan or wok. Add 2 tbsp of canola or neutral oil. Once hot, add in the onion and garlic. Sauté until aromatic. Add in the carrots. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the corn, peas, and mushrooms. Season with 1 tsp salt. This will be a little salty but once the rice is mixed in, it will be just right.
- Add in the cooked rice. Season with soy sauce and black pepper. Mix well. Cook over high heat, mixing constantly to avoid the bottom from sticking. Feel free to season with more salt or soy sauce if desired.
- Finish off with some sesame oil and then mix well. Transfer rice to a bowl and pack with a spoon. Place a plate over and flip to create a rounded dome shape. Garnish with some sesame seeds and spring onions, if desired. Enjoy while hot!
- Leftover rice and even day old rice is perfect for this!
- The veggies and mushrooms are totally up to you! Feel free to use what you have on hand. I used frozen corn and peas.
Pin these Images:
#asian #asianfood #friedrice #japanese #chahan #vegan #veganrecipe #easyrecipe #plantbased #plantbasedrecipe #easyveganrecipe #easyrecipe #rice
This Post Has 2 Comments
very easy and tasty!! my sisters loved it!! thank you so much ? although i changed a couple of things like i didn’t add mushroom, i used a teriyaki marinade, fresh jasmine rice, and added some scrambled eggs; overall it’s very easy to make for a quick lunch/dinner! i will be using more recipes from this site in the near future!! thank you again ?
Hi Jacqueline! Thanks so much and really glad you all enjoyed!! ❤️