I like to purchase 2 to 3 weeks worth of tofu at a time so I make sure to store them well to make sure they say as fresh as possible and don’t get that sour smell and slimy feel.
In the photo below is silken tofu (in the tube) that I just refrigerate as is.
For the blocks of extra firm and firm tofu, I transfer them in the containers and make sure to soak them in water in the container to keep them fresh!
It’s a staple here at home and I use it in a lot of my recipes since it’s a great vegan protein-source and is also so versatile!
Check out the step-by-step below on how I store and maintain the freshness of my tofu.
You can also check my other tofu recipes here or down below!
- Hakka-Style Stuffed Tofu
- Black Pepper Tofu Steaks
- Tofu “Chicken” Teriyaki
- Korean Spicy Braised Tofu
- Fried ‘Chicken’ and Gravy
- Tofu Katsu
- Nori-Wrapped Tofu in Spicy Sauce
- Maple Hoisin Tofu
- Orange Tofu
- Pan-Fried Tofu Cakes
- Tofu ‘McNuggets’
How to Store Tofu
- Air-tight containers
- Blocks of Tofu (firm, medium firm, extra firm)
- Remove the tofu from its original plastic trays when you purchase them.
- Run the tofu through water to wash out any of the excess liquid from the pack–the liquid it sits in inside the packaging for days, sometimes even weeks is what can give the tofu that somewhat sour smell and sometimes slimy feel. You'll want to wash this off the tofu.
- Place the tofu in an air-tight container and then fill that container with enough water to submerge the tofu.
- Keep the tofu in the refrigerator and replace the water every 2-3 days or when the water starts to turn a bit murky. You’ll want to keep the water clear!
- The tofu can be stores for 2 to 3 weeks this way and stay fresh for longer until you’re ready to use your tofu.
- For silken tofu that I purchase in a tube, I just make sure to keep it refrigerated.
This Post Has 7 Comments
Thanks for these tips.
Hope they help, Pam! And most welcome 🙂
I am very excited to have found you sight. Super helpful information and from what I’ve tried thus far, spot on flavors. Thank you!
Thank you so much, Amanda! Really appreciate it!
Hi there! I’m new to tofu. I’m not sure how to store it or how long it lasts. When I searched the Internet, it says tofu can last 2-3 months in the fridge if unopened. Here you say it can last 2-3 weeks. Which one is more accurate? Thank you!
Hi Simone! It really depends on the tofu if it’s made with certain stabilisers/preservatives to keep them longer. I get my tofu from a local store that makes them fresh without stabilisers so its only lasts around 2-3 weeks. I also don’t store my tofu that long most of the time cause I can just head to the store to get my tofu for the week.
The best way to gauge is with the smell/texture of your tofu. If you keep it for 2-3 months, you’ll need to keep replacing the water just so the tofu doesn’t sit in the same liquid for weeks on end. It can turn slimy. But I personally wouldn’t store fresh tofu for 2-3 months, since using it fresh would be best both taste and texture wise. Hope this helps!
Ohh mmm, freshly made tofu. I don’t think we have this in the Netherlands 🙁