With the holiday baking in full swing, here’s a vegan Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie! ?
This is crisp on the outside, chewy & gooey on the inside!
You can enjoy this vegan chocolate chip skillet cookie warm or with your favourite scoop of vegan ice cream for the perfect dessert and comfort food. Best enjoyed with your loved ones (or yourself, too!)
Oh and if you don’t have a skillet, or just want some chocolate chip cookies, you can easily bake the dough into regular-sized cookies!
I simply placed the cookie dough on a lined baking tray (I used parchment paper) and baked them for 12 minutes to get chewy cookies!
If you’d like to get them on the crispier side, you can bake them for a little longer until slightly golden brown on the outside.
PREPARING THE COOKIE DOUGH
This recipe yields a thick and sticky cookie dough, that’s really so simple to put together!
Flax “egg” mixture
Basically 1 1/2 tbsp flax meal or ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water and left to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until thick. Can also be subbed with some mashed banana!
Dry mixture for the cookies
A mix of all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt!
A mix of oil, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract.
I then mixed in the flax egg to the wet mixture!
Afterwards, I poured the wet mixture in the bowl of sugar!
I then poured the wet sugar mixture in the dry flour mixture to create that cookie dough!
And then I folded in the chocolate chips!
BAKING THE COOKIE!
Place the cookie dough in a skillet. I used a 6-inch skillet and you can make 2 skillet cookies with the amount of cookie dough.
Note that the thicker the dough is on the skillet, the longer it’ll cook and the chewier & more gooey its inside will be! So if you’re looking for a crisp yet chewy inside, I highly recommend not filling the skillet too much and only adding dough to fill at least 1/3 the height of the skillet.
THE CHOICE IS YOURS!
On whether you wanna make skillet cookies or just regular chocolate chip cookies!
Either way, both are really great options to satisfy those cookie cravings ◡̈
Get the full recipe below. Enjoy!
You might enjoy these recipes:
- Tofu ‘McNuggets’
- Japanese Chahan or Fried Rice
- Crispy Eggplant Katsu
- Scalloped Potatoes in Creamy Lemon Dill Sauce
- Chili Garlic and Black Bean Eggplant Noodles
- Easy Sweet, Spicy, and Saucy Noodles
- Stir-Fried Tofu and Basil Noodles
- Pan-Fried Tofu Cakes
- Tantanmen (Vegan Ramen)
- Yaki Udon
- Chinese-Style Bolognese
- Ginger and Scallion Noodles
- Chili Garlic Oil Noodles
- Mie Goreng (Indonesian Fried Noodles)
Vegan Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookies
- Skillet or other oven-proof baking dish/container
“Egg” Substitute (choose one!)
- 1 1/2 tbsp flax meal or ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp mashed banana
- 145 g all purpose flour , 1 cup + 2 tbsp
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp neutral oil plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 130 g packed organic brown sugar , 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or chunks plus more for topping
- Vegan ice cream of choice
- Heat your oven or oven toaster to 300F/150C. See steps below if making regular cookies.
- If using flax meal or ground flax for the egg substitute, mix the flax seed/ground flax seeds in a small bowl with the water. Leave to thicken in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Make sure that there are no clumps of baking soda!
- Mix together the oil, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flax "egg" or mashed banana into the oil-milk mixture and then mix well.
- Add in the wet mixture into the sugar. Mix until it’s well-incorporated.
- Create a well in the centre of the flour mixture then pour in the wet sugar mixture.
- Mix everything well until there are no more signs of dry flour.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. You’ll have a thick and sticky cookie dough!
- Brush a thin layer of oil on your skillet. Add in the cookie dough and spread evenly on the skillet. Top with more chocolate chips, if you’d like! If you’d like, you can also opt to bake some individual cookies! See the steps for regular cookies below.
- Bake the skillet cookie for 18 to 20 minutes or until the cookie is golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- The middle will still be chewy and gooey, and that’s how it’s supposed to be. Note that if you use a larger skillet, the cookie dough will be thinner and have a cakier middle when spread on the skillet. It'll also cook faster so adjust the baking time accordingly.You can check the doneness of the cookie by poking the center with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it's ready!
- Leave the skillet it to cool for around 10 minutes and then scoop over your favourite vegan ice cream. Scoop some of the ice cream with the cookie! Enjoy!
- If making a thinner skillet cookie, you can fill your skillet around 1/3 full. This will yield a thinner cookie but will be more cooked through and less gooey on the inside!
- This is the thinner cookier after baking.
Regular Cookies (Makes around 10-12 cookies)
- For regular cookies, heat your oven to 350F/180C. Line your baking tray with some parchment paper or a silicon mat to prevent the cookies from sticking.
- Scoop around 1 tbsp of the cookie dough and lightly flatten each one. Make sure to place them at least 2" apart from one another since it'll expand as it bakes.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes and then leave to cool for another 10 minutes. The cookies will continue to harden.
- You can also check the doneness of the cookies by removing them from the paper. The base comes off clean.
- If you want chewier cookies, you can cook them for 12 minutes and leave them to cool since they'll still harden.
- You can store your cookies in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. They'll last up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator–you'll just need to heat them for a few seconds in the micrawave or in the oven toaster for 5 mins at 300F if you'd like for the chocolate to melt. Enjoy!