Really fragrant and aromatic, this Vegan Ginger Sesame Tofu recipe with green beans is perfect over some steamed rice. You can also opt to use other veggies of your choice to mix with the tofu!
I love tofu and this is one of my favourite ways to cook them.
I pan-fry them to a crisp first before mixing them in a thick sauce. They’re really satisfying and I love having them for a quick and easy meal.
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR EXTRA FIRM TOFU
You can simply wrap your block/s of tofu in a towel and place a weighted surface on top.
You can also use a tofu press if you have one. This is to help drain out some of the moisture. You can leave the tofu to press for 5-10 minutes.
For this sauce, I simply mixed the following:
- oom temp water
- soy sauce
- maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- corn starch
- Pinch white pepper
- Shaoxing wine or other rice wine, optional
You can of course adjust the measurements to your liking and desired sweetness.
You can check out my recipe video below including 3 saucy tofu recipes below (including this ginger sesame tofu) for more saucy tofu goodness!
Check out the recipe for this ginger sesame tofu below!
LOOKING FOR MORE TOFU RECIPES?
Check out my other vegan tofu recipes here or down below:
Check out my tips on how to store tofu!
- Black Pepper Tofu Steaks
- Tofu “Chicken” Teriyaki
- Korean Spicy Braised Tofu
- Fried ‘Chicken’ and Gravy
- Tofu Katsu
- Nori-Wrapped Tofu in Spicy Sauce
- Maple Hoisin Tofu
- Orange Tofu
- Pan-Fried Tofu Cakes
- Tofu ‘McNuggets’
Ginger Sesame Tofu with Green Beans
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- Sesame oil or other oil, for cooking
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 red bell pepper feel free to use other veggies of choice
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- Water to cook down beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili sauce optional for spice
- Chopped scallions for topping
- Steamed rice
- You can watch the video below for a complete step-by-step.
- Dry the tofu and cut into cubes. I wrap the tofu in towels and place a plate on top of it until excess liquid is absorbed by the towels. You can also opt to use a tofu press.
- In a shallow plate or bowl, mix the cornstarch and salt. Coat the tofu well in the mix.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce. Feel free to adjust depending on your desited taste. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat around 2 tbsp of oil and then fry the tofu cubes until crisp and golden. You will need to turn around the tofu cubes to evenly crisp them.
- Take out the tofu and set aside.
- In the same pan add more sesame oil, sauté the onion, ginger, and bell peppers over medium high heat until tender and aromatic.
- Afterwards, add in green beans and cook over medium high heat. Add some water to cook down the beans. Cook for a few minutes until tender and cooked to your liking,
- Mix the sauce again to make sure the cornstarch hasn’t stuck to the bottom. Add in the sauce. Leave to simmer over medium heat while mixing. The sauce will slowly thicken from the corn starch.
- Add in the tofu and coat in the sauce. Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes until the tofu is well coated.
- Taste the tofu and feel free to season with more salt and pepper, to taste. You can also add in some chili sauce, if you'd like.
- Serve the tofu with a bowl of rice and garnish with some scallions, if desired. enjoy while hot!