These Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies and rich, decadent and fudgy on the inside with that paper-thin, crisp & shiny crust.
You’re sure to love these vegan brownies because these are:
- Crisp on the top but with a chewy center
- Easy to make!
- Great to make in big batches as they store well in room temperature or in the fridge!
Use a square baking tray, if you have one! A good size for this batter recipe is 8×8″. This way you can get even square brownies. I used a 7×10″ tray that was rectangular so my brownies were more of a rectangular shape.
Though of course this doesn’t affect taste and texture so I didn’t mind!
You’ll need the following:
FOR THE DRY MIXTURE, mix together:
- Almond flour
- Cocoa powder
- Corn starch
- Sea salt
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Flax “eggs” (see recipe notes below)
- Neutral oil
- Vanilla extract
Simply mix everything together!
How to make the vegan brownie batter/mix:
Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix everything until there are no signs of dry flour.
To Fold and Top
I folded in some chocolate chips to the batter
For topping, you can add the following:
- Vegan chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts (I added some cashews to top, before baking)
- Flaky sea salt
BAKING THESE VEGAN BROWNIES
Make sure you’ve preheated your oven to 325F/160C.
Transfer the brownie batter to a lined baking tray.
Spread out evenly. Top the brownie mixture with more chocolate chips and nuts (if using) and sprinkle on some flaky sea salt.
Bake the brownies for 35 to 40 minutes until the top layer has hardened and is shiny. It will rise as it bakes due to the baking powder and baking soda.
Important: Leave the brownies to cool completely below slicing. It’s best to leave it to cool for a few hours. This will allow the brownie to set and harden a bit more. If you slice it too early, it can easily crumble!
THE FINISHED VEGAN BROWNIES WITH NUTS
I’ve made this version countless times and I personally prefer brownies with nuts since they add a really nice bite and crunch to the top!
For these brownies, I topped some roasted cashews that I roughly chopped up.
Though of course you can opt to make these without nuts and just top the brownies with some more chocolate chips and flaky sea salt for that saltiness.
Either way, both versions of these brownies turn out delicious, super moist, and fudgy!
Find the full recipe for these fudgy vegan and gluten-free brownies below!
If you try out this recipe, I’d appreciate if you leave a rating or simply click on the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ on my recipe card!
OTHER VEGAN RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Vegan Cinnamon Waffles
- Ube Pandesal (Filipino Sweet Bread Rolls)
- Crispy Wontons
- Vegetable Dumplings
- Chinese Chive Pies
- Pan-Fried Cabbage and Noodle Buns
Fudgy Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies
- 8×8" or 7×10” baking tray (it's actually best to use a square tray)
- Parchment paper, for lining
Wet Sugar Mixture
- Preheat your oven to 325F/160C.https://thefoodietakesflight.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wprm_manage#
- In a large bowl, mix together all the wet sugar mixture ingredients until well combined.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together all the dry mixture ingredients. Ensure that there are no clumps of almond flour and baking soda.
- While mixing, add in the dry ingredients into the large bowl with the wet sugar ingredients. Mix until well-incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Spread out evenly. Top the brownie mixture with more chocolate chips and some roasted cashews or other nuts (optional) along with a sprinkle on some flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top layer has hardened and is shiny. It will rise as it bakes due to the baking powder and baking soda.
- IMPORTANT: Leave the brownies to cool completely below slicing. It’s best to leave it to cool for a few hours. This will allow the brownie to set and harden a bit more. If you slice it too early, it can easily crumble!
- To store the brownies, place these in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. These may last longer but I go through these so fast they rarely last a few days!